Thursday, February 21, 2013

A triathlete again?

The little swimming group at my gym has a name now: We're the GATORS—Granite Adult Triathlon Or Recreational Swimmers. (Granite is the name of the gym.) Cute, huh? I suggested we just go ahead and be the GATARS and change that strange little "or" to an "and," but apparently we've got to choose one reason to swim or the other.

Almost everyone else in the group is there because they do triathlons, but me, I'm definitely in the recreational camp these days. That said, the GATORS are putting on an indoor triathlon in April, and I agreed to participate because I'm fairly supportive of the concept and more or less a team player. And Mik wants to do it, so that will be fun.

The downside is now I've got to get on the treadmill and the stationary bike every once in a while and train for the thing. Well, the stationary bike is a downside (so much so that I haven't actually gotten on one yet), but the treadmill is actually turning out to be kind of fun. Remember when trying to run a single 10-minute mile nearly killed me off? Back when I was a "runner"? Now I can do it with little to no previous training—and the first five minutes feel like a warm-up.

This makes me happy, but it also irritates me a little. Because I can trace that improvement to my diet, 100%, without a doubt in my mind. This is great news for me and the whole human race, and I'd be more than pleased to share the wealth. But still no one believes me; apparently I'm "crazy" now.

2 comments:

  1. I don't think anyone thinks you are crazy in a broad sense; perhaps a little obsessive-compulsive. :) Even dad admitted that you are right, and I know a lot of people who are trying to eat better by eating less processed crap, us included. You are not alone, it's just your fanaticism that makes you unique. :)

    Actually, I bet it is not only diet changes but the associated body changes that are making running easier. And I am liking my treadmill as well. I run for 10 minutes, usually doing intervals, and cool-down for 2. 12 minutes seems like plenty to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you're crazy either. Obsessive-compulsive, well that runs in your family. :)

    ReplyDelete