Friday, June 28, 2013

Paleo fudgesicle recipe

Ever feel like the universe is conspiring against you? Well, me neither, except perhaps in the isolated case of trying to perfect my Paleo fudgesicle recipe. First, the grocery store ran out of coconut milk, then everyone hated the idea of adding avocado to them, then everyone hated my second and third tries, then I had to stop eating so many fudgesicles because they were making me a bit loopy.

** shakes fist at universe **

Therefore, I'd like to present a list of the ingredients I originally threw together, which do make a darn good fudgesicle. One of my guinea pigs was a teenage friend of Dex's, who took one bite and exclaimed, "Oh my gosh! These are amazing!" Of course, this is a kid who in the past year has said much the same thing about my Paleo cookies, homemade salad dressing, hash browns, chili, and Brussels sprouts, so clearly he is of especially discerning taste and we just might need to adopt him.

Paleo fudgesicles!

Put in a large Pyrex measuring cup:
1 can coconut milk
1 oz. square of unsweetened chocolate
Microwave at low power for about two minutes, and then stir until the chocolate is melted.

Add:
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 T arrowroot powder (optional; it's a thickener)
3 T maple syrup

Mix well and pour into popsicle molds. This makes five fudgesicles in ours. For a family of four. Oh, dear…

Notes: You could of course do this on the stovetop, but the pourable measuring cup makes everything easier. I tried adding a quarter-cup of almond butter to this recipe, and I thought it tasted like peanut butter ice cream, but no one else here really likes peanut butter ice cream. I also think that if you really like your chocolate really dark, you should try adding several teaspoons of cocoa powder. Finally, I would have liked to experiment with using pulverized blueberries or dates or bananas (plus a blender) instead of maple syrup, but the universe didn't want me to (see above).

No comments:

Post a Comment