Saturday, December 7, 2013

They put the word "Cracker" in the name to warn you

My in-laws took us out to Cracker Barrel last night and then to a Christmas program at their church. I woke up feeling like death warmed over and can only conclude that something at Cracker Barrel that didn't seem like it should have gluten did have gluten. (It was either that or the jazzy rendition of "O Holy Night.")

For me the symptoms are a headache, a sore throat, and a raging thirst that's worse than (and the cause of) the other two combined. Mostly I'm bummed that I have to "start over" being gluten free and don't know how long it will take me to go back to feeling great again.

When I used to eat bread at every meal, I never got this, but of course I was also overweight and tired and got winded easily and on and on. (I was going to add "no ambition," which is sort of true but sounds insane when you consider that I did an Ironman back then. Maybe what I wanted to say is "less enthusiasm for life.") Anyway, this gluten hangover is awful, but I now consider it a poison-detection system and am grateful to have it. I don't consider "being used to poison" a useful state.

3 comments:

  1. I hope you figure out what you ate that made you feel so awful so that you can avoid it in the future. Any sauces on your food? They can be a hidden source.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you ever able to figure out what it was? Hope youre feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm almost positive it was the hashbrown casserole. I didn't really do my research beforehand, but I will next time I eat out!

      Delete