Thursday, August 21, 2014

Itchy scissor fingers, the inevitable sequel

I had a feeling I wouldn’t be able to leave well enough alone where my hair was concerned, and sure enough, I cut it one more time last week. Everything is fine, but if you ever decide to try this, heed my cautionary tale…

So I was happy with the cut in general, but I wanted to take some of the overall length off. That’s a bit harder to do yourself than layers, so I studied up as much as I could (this was the most helpful tutorial) and decided I would start with a tiny bit and, if all went well, gradually cut it to chin length.

The scary part—the part to heed, so to speak—was that I ended up cutting it chin length on the first attempt without even remotely meaning to. Fortunately, everything looks even, so I didn’t have to take off more length to straighten it out. Thank goodness I was at least trying to start small.

I guess I’ve got to show you the evidence now, so here it is, with the disclaimer that it air-dried this way and I didn’t even get up from my chair to brush it first:


Lessons learned:
  1. If your hair is on the long side, and/or curly and therefore forgiving of imprecision, this is not that hard or that big of a deal at all.
  2. Cutting your own hair is way more fun than going to a hairdresser, even though I really like my (former) hairdresser.
  3. The Internet can teach you how to do pretty much anything. This is like the ninetieth amazing, life-improving thing it has taught me.
  4. JUST BE CAREFUL HOW MUCH YOU CUT. Even after hearing this advice repeatedly and trying to be super-careful, I still took off more length than I was intending to, twice.
The end.

3 comments:

  1. I noticed your hair yesterday when you were here, and was thinking that it was really cute. I had no idea that you had cut it! Good for you! Maybe I can hire you to cut mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! Cutting OTHER people's hair is another whole field of study, and I'm not sure it's a good idea to risk it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, not worth risking a relationship on a bad haircut.

    ReplyDelete