Saturday, November 16, 2013

Recipe: Coconut oil chocolates

I have another recipe for you, except it's not so much a recipe as a general formula, because you can do these in tons of different ways that would all be delicious. I made these several times around Halloween so I'd have something candy-like to soothe the pain of not being able to eat real candy—but that plan backfired, because they turned out to be a candy gateway, and I totally fell off the no-refined-sugar wagon.

So, nutritionally, these are much better than candy, but trust me when I tell you that your brain really won't know the difference. Don't make them if they're only going to launch you into a sugar death spiral.

Here's the basic formula:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 T maple syrup
Just stir together, pour into molds (or an ice cube tray), and freeze or refrigerate to harden.

And here's my favored variation:
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 T maple syrup
2 T almond butter
1 t vanilla
pinch of salt
Stir together and pour into molds FILLED WITH SALTED NUTS. Freeze or refrigerate to harden.

Mix these with whatever you like. Coconut milk? Mint extract? Dried fruit? Coconut flakes? Bananas? Grasshoppers? Don't look at me. I'm trying to stay away from the things.

No comments:

Post a Comment