Saturday, August 27, 2011

Rudderless

I had a weird day. No work to do, no training to do, no traveling to do, no obligations of any kind. Most people would probably say, "Great. I've been dying for a day off to do X." But bad news. I've been so busy for so long that I couldn't think of a single X.

What's my X?? I really need one. Cleaning the bathrooms doesn't count (probably).

By the way, I was complaining about this lack of… something to my husband tonight, and he immediately popped up with the perfect one-time idea, something I wanted to do and needed to do and would have felt happy and productive doing (read the first 50 pages of his book). But by the time he mentioned it, I had already moped away my whole day. Dang it!

So I told him his new job is to be my rudder. Whenever he sees me wandering around the house in a listless and melancholy mood, he needs to give me an assignment. (He's really good at being selectively in charge of my life. For the better part of the past year, for example, I let him control my sugar intake.)

I don't know if it's actually an emotionally healthy strategy to hand off the parts of your life you can't manage to someone else, but it certainly works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment