Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Approximate recipes

I just made the best lunch ever, and I'm going to write down the approximate recipes before I forget. (Starred ingredients are VERY approximate. This is not a recipe blog; sorry. You'll just have to wing it.)

Meatballs
2 pounds ground pork
1 pound ground beef
5 or 6 grated baby carrots
4 or 5 cloves of garlic, minced
*fist full of cilantro, minced (maybe an eighth of the bunch?)
*1 tsp fennel
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp onion powder
*1 Tbsp coconut aminos
*1/8 cup coconut milk
*1/4 cup ground almonds (aka almond flour)
Mix well and form into about 24 large meatballs. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes on foil-lined cookie sheets.

My husband and I each had four of those served over…

Saucy vegetables
Just a big skillet full of vegetables (I used a frozen mix but would have added some broccoli slaw if we'd had it), cooked in some coconut oil. When mostly done, add this completely addictive Paleo Pad Thai sauce and cook for several more minutes or you can no longer stand the saucy goodness:
*1/4 cup almond butter
*1/4 cup coconut milk
1 Tbsp coconut aminos
1 tsp salt
*1 tsp garlic powder (but minced garlic would have been better, probably)
*1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (shake them on to taste; they're very spicy)

I remembered that we had an older blender in the house that we retired when we got our fancy new one, so I dug that out, finished grinding up my almonds, and made apple muffins for dessert as well. They were good, but next time I'll use less coconut oil and add some salt. The old blender actually seems more suited for grinding up nuts, so maybe I won't have to spend $200 on kitchen appliances just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment