Friday, November 4, 2011

Banana-based desserts

I found myself with five nearly-overripe bananas, so I decided to exploit all that natural sugar and create a couple of desserts. And they turned out so well that I'm recording them here for posterity:

Banana bread
2 cups slivered almonds
1 cup walnuts
½ cup ground flax
½ tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
4 ripe bananas
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
Grind the dry ingredients in a food processor or blender until powdery. Then mix everything in a mixer until combined. Pour into a bread pan greased with coconut oil, and bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.

Chocolate ice cream
1 can coconut milk
1 ripe banana
4 Tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp vanilla
Mix well in a blender, and then pour into a container and freeze. Check and stir every 30 minutes until it's the consistency of soft serve. The leftovers will freeze rock hard, but you can always put them in the refrigerator for a few hours before trying to eat them. I would have added nuts to this if it was just for me, but I was hoping my 13-year-old would like it (which he did).

Both of these were awesome. And so filling. I had a couple of slices of banana bread and a couple of spoonfuls of ice cream around dinnertime, and I was too stuffed to eat anything else. My favorite dinner so far this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment