Friday, November 23, 2012

Marriage and the art of egg carton management

M.H. and I have been married almost 20 years, and the other day I mentioned one of his little quirks that I had been cheerfully humoring for a long time. It's no big deal. It's just that he likes there to be an even number of eggs left in the egg carton. So, if at all possible, we always try to use them in pairs. And if the number is odd, we might hard-boil five eggs instead of four to restore balance. And just for fun, we make a kind of unspoken game out of always having the eggs arranged in a symmetrical pattern, so if you weren't the last one to use them, you get a little surprise when you open the carton. I know the whole thing is ridiculous, but it's always brought me some small delight to play along with this harmless eccentricity in someone I love.

Except M.H. had no idea what I was talking about. He thought the entire thing had been my neurotic little quirk, and he'd been the one humoring me all these years.

Don't you think it's funny how a marriage itself can develop charming little quirks?


3 comments:

  1. I guess what they say about assuming is true.

    But I think the fact that I've only been married 7 years more than you is a little more shocking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My guess was that he started the odd/even thing and you started the pattern thing. (And apparently that you are well-suited for each other).

    Aunt B, we've been married a mere 10, so you have us beat by almost 20, if it makes you feel any better. :) [Still not over the fact that I am old enough to have a nephew who is dating, however.]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that's absolutely right. We can actually sort of trace how it all happened.

      Delete