Thursday, November 8, 2012

Perspective

Wow, the barefoot running did a number on my calves. I found myself walking down the stairs sideways this morning to avoid making the delayed-onset muscle soreness…angry, and I realized, "I lived like this for nine months." Calves, hamstrings, quads, feet—something always hurt, and I always had to keep training and creatively navigating the stairs anyway. Because Ironman!

I wonder now if that was even the best way to train, or if it would have been smarter to take more time to let myself heal between workouts. I'm actually not sure, but I do know this: I don't have a single reason in the world now to run again until my calves feel better.

Also this: It's so much more fun to have done an Ironman than to be doing one.

The has-been on her photo shoot.

6 comments:

  1. Do you think it was the lack of cushioning or support in the shoes?

    I avoid that "post running pain" by not running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think it's all those ankle-stabilization muscles working extra hard, which is good. I just need to build up gradually.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I start on knee-stabilization with a trainer tomorrow morning. I hope his program builds up gradually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. two things.

    1. everyone I know (and I know a LOT) of newb barefoot runners, go through the calf-pain thing. start at 2 minutes and work up s-l-o-w-l-y.

    2. I've come to the conclusion that "no training" training for long distance is the way to go. this summer, was 'go long' at our local tri-club. the one's that did minimal training? crossed the finish line (yes. in pain.) but no other injuries. those that did the full-slate standard training? no finish. still effed up. coinkydink? I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen! I'm really starting to wonder, too, if the normal style of training is the best. What if you did the same type of workouts but took, like, two days off between each one? No idea if it would work and not really planning to try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you re: no idea it it would work and not really planning to try.

      I finally ...FINALLY!! (only took 3 years. oy!)... resolved there will be no IM in my future.

      But idle speculation, not to mention watching the carnage that is IM training, makes me think there might be something to that 'less is more' camp.

      Delete