Monday, October 21, 2019

Whooo’s psyched to get a new toy?

Friday: 25/25 minutes sitting
Saturday: 45 minutes sitting
Sunday: 45 minutes sitting
Monday: 45 minutes sitting

Further reading on why legs fall asleep during meditation and how to prevent it led me to the world of specialized meditation pillows (called zafus), which led me straight to Etsy with a fancy new search term, which led me to this wonderful thing:


I am weird in that I almost entirely refuse to purchase anything new; I do all my shopping for clothes and household stuff at garage sales and thrift stores. So it might seem very out of character for me to drop $54 plus shipping on this, but you have to understand it’s not that I’m cheap, per se. I just don’t want to create additional demand for things mass-produced by giant companies and underpaid workers for rich Americans to wantonly buy and then discard. On the other hand I’m a big supporter of individual humans who have artsy side businesses of hand-crafting owl-themed meditation gear that might make me more comfortable for 45 minutes every morning.

The bad news is that there was a mix-up of some sort and this actual zafu got sold twice. The good news is that the owl-sewer is going to make me a new one exactly like it and, by request, make it a little taller than the original. I’ll have to wait a few more weeks, but now it’s perfect in every way.

P.S. There have been some ups and downs, but I feel like my brain is 90 percent back from being broken.

No comments:

Post a Comment