Saturday, July 24, 2010

Day before the race

Saturday: Some sort of short ride later on…

My laptop is about the only thing in the house that's not coming with me to the race, so I'm posting kind of early.

I slept well and feel kind of serene today. I was at my parents' house last night, talking to my parents and sister about the bike course, and I heard myself telling them, "If I have to get off and walk, I'll get off and walk. It's no big deal if I was only going to be going 5 mph anyway" and I realized that's true. The steepest section is only about a mile long, maybe a mile and a half, and having to walk it would not be the end of the world, or the end of my race. I had been trying not to think that way, because I wanted to stay positive, but honestly it's just realistic, and it might be the smartest thing I could do, as opposed to destroying my legs in the first 20 miles. Anyway, it makes me feel better to have a plan other than "I'm (probably) dooooooomed!"

My only remaining fear is that if it gets too steep and I do decide I need to walk, I won't be able to get out of the pedal clips in time and will topple over, but maybe I'll practice that maneuver a few times today.

We're going to drop off the kids with my parents this morning, then drive up to Bozeman with plenty of time to drive the bike course and see just what I'm up against.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry I didn't get a chance to wish you well before your race. But I am thinking of you and praying for you and I will continue throughout the day. I hope you had an awesome time. No one deserves it more.

    ReplyDelete