Thursday, December 2, 2010

Could this be the key to everything?

Wednesday: Run 2 miles, water run 50 minutes, bike 11 miles
Thursday: Swim 2,700 yards, bike 11 miles

I'm amazed at how much I've accomplished (and how much I've learned) in the past two days by holding my Internet time-wasting down to 25 minutes. I highly recommend pulling out a stopwatch and trying it yourself.

First, accomplishments:
  • I spent more time with my kids.
  • I got all the Christmas decorations up and went around the house cleaning up after myself.
  • I made a to-do list with seven items and checked them all off.
  • I got caught up with my work (and invoicing).
That last one feels sweet.

And shocking revelations:
  • Having only 25 minutes means I can't even get to about three-quarters of the stuff I was reading/checking daily, let alone dwelling or commenting on any of it. I shudder to think how many hours a day I was wasting before this.
  • I kept having to resist the urge to turn off the stopwatch, because in some part of my mind certain things didn't really "count" against my minutes—as if no time were passing while I stopped to think about my next Scrabble play or a while a page loaded slowly.
  • This is exactly like being on a budget. It was almost funny how I scrimped and saved precious seconds all day so that I'd be able to get caught up on Facebook one last time before bed.
  • Since online Christmas shopping is totally legal, I did a lot of that. (That part was not like being on a budget.)

No comments:

Post a Comment