Saturday, December 18, 2010

The hardest part of my workout

Friday: Yoga, swim 2,350 yards
Saturday: Bike 17 miles, run 3.5 miles

This was one of those stereotypical days when I really didn't want to work out, but afterward I felt great. You'd think I'd learn to anticipate the feeling-great part and show a little more motivation on the front end, but it never seems to work that way.

I think one big reason is that a bike-run workout requires just a ridiculous amount of preparation before I even push Start on the timer. Here's what I have to do:
  • Copy the workouts down on a little card to take with me.
  • Pack up my gym bag with my keys, phone, and the clothes I want to wear for the day and set it by the door.
  • Get running clothes out and set them by the bike.
  • Find and put on my heart rate monitor.
  • Get dressed for the bike ride.
  • Get food and water for the bike ride.
  • Put on shoes, sweat band, and headphones; turn on the fan; and make sure everything I need is within arm's reach.
I'm actually getting better at the whole drill, but for a disorganized person like me, any one of those steps can take a disastrous turn (like finding my keys, say, or enough dry laundry) and the items I need are usually on three different levels of the house. The whole thing usually takes 20 minutes, plus at least 20 more just to psych myself up to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment