Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Mad genius

Tuesday: Rest
Wednesday: Walk 14 miles

Revved up from my (totally stinking awesome) rest day, and having nothing much to do today, I decided this was the moment to enact my plan of occasionally replacing a scheduled long run with a ridiculously long walk. I arbitrarily decided to start with 14 miles. (It's still winter here, of course, so that was four hours on the treadmill, set to "random" incline.) I brought both my music and audiobook players, lots of snacks, and two water bottles. Should have brought extra socks, too, but live and learn.

All in all, I think I'm a mad genius. Genius because even though my heart rate never got above 102, this was a fun but killer workout that eventually felt exactly like the end of my half-ironman, and the end of my marathon. (My theory is, if you build up the death-march muscles, it should eventually cease to be a death march. Right?) But I'm also thinking I might have been mad, because my legs and feet (oh, most especially the feet) are killing me right now, I have a blister on my heel, and it's hard to imagine being able to do tomorrow's two hours of bike and run workouts. So I guess time will tell whether this was a good idea or what.

I'm still a little iffy about my left calf, but this walk didn't hurt it. Actually, I just realized that if I do a water run tomorrow, that might be the best thing for my feet AND calves. And knees and hips and blisters and sanity. We'll see how I feel tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment