Saturday, January 14, 2012

Cheating (but it's not what you think)

Part of the deal with the Whole30 challenge is you're not supposed to weigh yourself for the entire 30 days. The idea is that, rather than obsessing about your weight, you should focus on how your food choices make you feel.

Well, I woke up this morning feeling discouraged. Sitting for long periods of time makes my injury really achy, and I spent last night playing cards at my parents' house, doing just that. Every time I stood up, it hurt, and it took me a couple of minutes to work the kinks out. I felt like I might as well be 80, not 40. And on top of that, everyone else there was eating chocolate cream pie, including my mother, who has now semi-Paleo-dieted herself down to a Size 4. (Why, yes, that is the jealousy talking.)

I decided I had to know whether any of this was doing any good. So I got out of bed and got on the scale, hoping to have at least lost the 5 pounds I gained in December. It was better than that: I've lost 8 pounds, meaning I'm at my lowest post-kids weight ever at 166.

I'm not interested in turning into a weight-obsessed "dieter" who lets the numbers on the scale dictate her mood. But I have to say, it did make me feel better. Pressing on now.

1 comment:

  1. Now I want a chocolate cream pie! Darnit!

    Congrats on the 8 lbs, but too bad you weren't able to make the full 30 without using the scale. I agree on the perspective too; you really shouldn't use the scale as a measure of anything.

    ReplyDelete