Sunday, September 16, 2012

Whole21 results

I've been babbling a lot about this Whole30 thing, but it turns out it was a Whole21, because the date-night tradition of going out for pizza after going to the symphony just could not be denied last night. Well, it could have been denied, but that would have made me extremely unhappy, and surely the point of being healthier and living longer is so that a lot of it can be enjoyable?

I'm planning to stay on the Paleo bandwagon, of course, but I think my days of super-restrictive eating are over, because I found that ridiculously annoying this time around. Way more than you would think, actually, since I had been eating 90 percent Paleo before I started.

M.H. and I went ahead and weighed ourselves yesterday afternoon so we could at least have some tangible results from the three weeks we did finish. M.H. lost 10 pounds (!) and I lost 3, but I also lifted a ton of weights and got called "tiny," so I am satisfied. 160 is the least I remember weighing in my adult life (although I do remember saying I weighed 160 on my driver's license back in the early 1990s).

I think the best Whole30 Whole21 result, though, was that I finally figured out a Paleo salad dressing that I like. It's mayo blended with a ripe avocado, cilantro, lime juice, and balsamic vinegar. It tastes like some kind a cilantro-avocado-ranch dressing, and I like all those words an awful lot. I also tried a dollop of it in chili a few times, and it was jaw-droppingly good, better than sour cream and cheese. The stuff has also found its way onto fried kale, fried zucchini, and fried asparagus in the past week or so. I'm thinking if I could get my hands on some fresh dill, I could ranch it up even more, but for now I'm delighted to have figured out how to have a salad for lunch without marring it with a bunch of bottled nastiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment