Thursday, September 19, 2013

Destructivity

I've been working on massive projects for three clients at once and, while I'm still doing okay deadline-wise, putting in so many hours is starting to mess me up. Here's a partial list of things that now feel like recreational activities:
  1. Cleaning the bathroom
  2. Emptying the dishwasher
  3. Slicing and peeling cooking apples
  4. Switching to my standing desk
  5. Doing different work for a fourth client
That last one is especially odd. I have one client (Grumpy) where I can just pick up assignments I want from a website as they become available. If I don't do them, another freelancer will, and Grumpy won't care or even notice right now that I'm not around. So why do I feel compelled to keep picking up work from Grumpy?

I think it's partly habit and partly that it feels like a mental break—but mostly my brain being a complete idiot. It's like…I'm not in deadline trouble yet, so let's see how far I can push this thing! You know?

No comments:

Post a Comment