Sunday, February 14, 2016

Science!

For my birthday M.H. gave me a 23andMe kit, so I can, quote, “make more informed New Life Plans” based on my actual genetics. Won’t that be interesting? I spit into the tube as instructed and will let you know what I find out when the results arrive in six to eight weeks.

And, you know, I would think that if you found out that you were genetically disposed to some disease or other, that would make you a lot more conscious of taking care of yourself, so I suspect I will use the results to do exactly what M.H. anticipates I will do, which is make New Life Plans, or at least GREAT resolutions, based on them.

In the meantime, I’m re-coming to the re-conclusion that I have a real problem with sugar, and that the only way to eat less of it is to eat none of it at all. (The moderation plan for February is not going as well as we all might have hoped.) I’m not going to give sugar up right this minute, since my parents are throwing me a belated birthday party tonight, complete with a special-request cake. But I might give it up starting Monday, or maybe starting in March, and I might not eat it again until Thanksgiving. Or Christmas. Or in two years. Or never ever. Not sure yet. It’s possible that 23andMe will have something to say about the issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment