Thursday, February 23, 2012

Swimming with the kid

Swimming season is over, and I told my 11-year-old I'd bring him to the gym a couple of times a week during the off-season so could swim together. He's really been looking forward to it, primarily because he's pretty sure he's faster than me now. And he pretty much is. We raced 25's of every stroke, a 50 free and 50 fly, and a 100 IM. He beat me at everything except the fly and the 50 free. Well, I might have left the wall a fraction of a second late a few times just to make absolutely sure.

We also challenged each other to see how far we could swim without breathing. He did a no-breath 25 for the first time ever, and I found I can still do a 50 that way. But just barely.

He's great competition, and great company, and I think if we follow through with our swimming dates, we'll both be in great shape by the time his long-course season starts in April.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! I'm pretty sure he could beat me, too, if he's over the trauma from last time. I haven't been in the pool at all since this summer.

    ReplyDelete