Tuesday, August 30, 2016

GREAT resolutions for September

OK, I’m going to go ahead and do this! Here are my resolutions for September:
  • Goal: Sit down for a family dinner every weekday. The one (sort of) silver lining of Dex being away at college is that there is again a time when everyone living under this roof is actually available to have dinner together. We started this on Monday, and I am happy about it.
  • Rule: Take a full day off every week. I don’t always work every day—but I usually do work at least a little work every day, and typically I’m “on call” most of the time. My intent with taking a day off is to be more productive with my work time, more aggressive about limiting my schedule, and more creative about finding fun, restful things to do. (I already started this, too, actually.)
  • Exercise: Stick to the schedule. I don’t see anything coming up in September that should prevent me from keeping to the plan I’ve laid out for myself, which is this: Lift weights on Mondays and Fridays, do sprint workouts on Wednesdays, and do yoga on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays. And walk every day.
  • Affirmation: “I welcome the changing of the seasons.” Metaphorically, too, this time!
  • Task: Clean Dex’s room. He left everything in pretty good shape, but someone needs to go in there to dust, vacuum, air it out, make up the beds, and have a good cry over the inevitability of the passage of time. 
This GREAT framework, while still amusing*, is pretty limiting. I’m completely over the affirmations (A). I feel like ideally I would just keep this same exercise (E) plan every month. There are months when my resolutions should probably be just a list of tasks (T). And obviously my goal (G) is just a rule (R) in disguise. This nonsense may have run its course in its current form. Hmmm.

* To me

No comments:

Post a Comment