Monday, February 13, 2012

The most dangerous month?

It's been a sugar-fest around here for more than a week now, starting with the Super Bowl, continuing on through my three-day birthday extravaganza, and probably not finishing (if I'm honest) until after Valentine's Day. I'm starting to think February might be as dangerous as December, and I saw Cadbury Eggs in the grocery store the other day.

I've been thinking, though, even with the influx of junk food*, my diet is still probably better than it was last year at this time. I mean, I had about four cups of collard greens with breakfast, for crying out loud.

I've made some mild attempts to resist the sugar, mostly by making semi-Paleo treats to have instead. I just made some awesome cookies where the only "bad" ingredient was a quarter-cup of agave nectar, and my birthday cake was this chocolate walnut torte. Holy tasties.

* A note on the phrase "junk food": I read an interesting article somewhere recently about how the problem with American diets is that we consider sugar just empty calories, when instead we should think of it as actively harming us. Rice is junk food. Sugar is a whole nother beast. So we ought to think of a new phrase. "Devil food?"

1 comment:

  1. Oooh great point. Devil food...not to be confused with devil's food....well probably the same thing.

    ReplyDelete