Saturday, March 9, 2013

Exciting new training plan

After a couple of months of hunting around for a weight training plan (criteria: It had to be quick, focus on major muscle groups, and spell out exactly what to do) I've finally found one I like. I kind of want to dive right in, but part of the deal is that you're supposed to do those workouts and only those workouts.

Minimalism is great in theory, and I don't want to overdo it, but at the same time, I really don't want to give up my yoga and swimming classes. Plus, I just signed Mik and myself up for the indoor triathlon at my gym, so I want to throw some more running and (gasp) cycling into my regular routine.

I'm thinking about a schedule like this:
Sunday: Yoga and "long" run (like 20-30 minutes)
Monday: Swimming
Tuesday: Weights
Wednesday: Spin class and a few running sprints right afterward
Thursday: off
Friday: Yoga
Saturday: Weights
I have a secret reason for wanting to step up my training: The way this triathlon is set up, everybody will be ranked based on place in the swim, bike, and run, and all three are equally weighted in the final score. As far as I know, I'm the fastest female swimmer at the gym, and Mik is the fastest male swimmer (at least among the pool regulars). So…we're planning to flat-out win the swim leg, which gives me hope that we could both place overall. There are no age groups, so this 40-something and 10-something will be competing against folks in their physical prime, but I still think we have a shot.

This is new territory for me, because I've never started a triathlon before with any ambition other than to finish and/or survive. Fun, right?

1 comment: