Here’s what I settled on:
- Goal: Memorize 1 John 1. This should be fun: John’s writing has a completely different vibe from Paul’s, and this chapter is waaaay shorter than Ephesians 4.
- Rule: Start each weekday with an hour of diligent work at my standing desk. The intent is not only to work for a solid hour before even thinking about Facebook but also to be on my feet the entire time. I anticipate that a full hour of standing might be challenging at first, so I’m allowed to break it up if I need to, as long as I stay away from digital distractions.
- Exercise: Explore some more sources of yoga. My gym has been slowly converting all its good yoga classes into annoying “yoga pump” type things where the instructors shout at you and make you wave pink and purple weights around. There is still one excellent instructor, but I can usually get to only one or two of her classes a week, and I’d like to find something that I can do at home on some of the other days.
- Affirmation: I take great care of myself and my family. This is code for “I cook stuff and do my part to help us all to get to bed at a decent time.”
- Task: Purge and clean the desk area off of the kitchen. This area includes photo albums, shoeboxes full of greeting cards, art supplies, tons of papers, dust, and…miscellany. It will be a pretty big job but can be done a bit at a time.