Friday, October 1, 2010

Progress

Thursday: Bike 5 miles, Run 6.5 miles
Friday: Yoga, bike 11 miles

I got my friend's heart rate monitor in the mail, and it is so exciting to be able to execute fancy maneuvers like "Gradually bring your heart rate up to 75%" that I can't even believe it. It finally gives me some confidence in what I'm doing. And I think it's going to be a great way to see progress. I mean, running at 75% might be just 4.6 mph NOW, but maybe in a month it will be faster.

Today I had sort of a clumsy bike ride where I a) took a corner too fast and almost smacked into the curb; b) ran off the road onto some gravel and weeds (and very nearly the ditch); and c) flung my water bottle away and had to go back for it. This was all during the warm-up. So I was a little apprehensive when it was time to do one-legged drills again. But I tried to focus on not killing myself, and they actually went pretty well.

I read an article in some triathlon magazine I just got about the importance of recovery and that one rest day a week and one rest week a month wasn't really enough. It made me glad that I have already built 21 extra rest days into my schedule. If I start sounding overwrought on this blog, will someone please remind me to take one?

No comments:

Post a Comment