Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Ode to breakfast

I used to think I could never eat Paleo because I had to have Cheerios, bananas, and milk every day for breakfast. It was my favorite meal of the day, because I loved not having to plan it or think about it. Pour, slice, pour. Mindlessly delicious. I generally rolled out of bed, ate while reading the newspaper, and then went straight to work.

Well, I'm here to tell you, I've found a new rut.

Breakfast remains my favorite meal of the day, hands down. But the new default is two fried eggs, two strips of bacon, and a grapefruit. I frequently branch out, though, with turkey sausage, sweet potato hash browns, sauteed mushrooms, or different kinds of fruit.

It's still a no-brainer, but it definitely isn't mindless any more. I now start my day by cooking hash browns for the boys, quizzing them on whatever they're working on for school, chatting with everyone while my husband packs their lunches and I put away last night's dishes, and making tea. Then the kids do a few quick chores, my husband gets them off to school, and I start our breakfast. If I don't have to work right away, we eat it together while playing a few hands of cards.

Even though I've just told you how poorly I've been eating for the past week, it has never crossed my mind to change anything about breakfast. I love having energy, and serenity, in the mornings.

1 comment:

  1. Your new breakfast really is more delicious than your old breakfast, as well as being more nutritionally sound! I like the description of the morning routine.

    ReplyDelete