Thursday, March 1, 2012

Youth

My 11-year-old and I had another swimming date. But I was itching to get some walking in, too, so I mentioned that we could go play in the regular part of the gym before we swam, if he wanted. He wanted.

I walked a mile on the treadmill. He ran most of his, at varying inclines. I pedaled slowly on a stationary bike. He cranked out another mile as fast as he could. I pointed out several weight machines that might be beneficial for swimmers. He enthusiastically maxed out on all of them. We compared heart rates, and he "won." By a lot.

Then we got to the pool, and he didn't feel much like swimming as much as I did, so we finished about 500 yards and went home.

I thought I must have worn the poor kid out, but on the way to the car, he declared that next week we should run a mile, bike a mile, and swim a mile. Now there's a well-proportioned and well-ordered triathon, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment