Saturday, November 2, 2019

Social schmedia

Saturday: 30 + 30 minutes sitting

I’m sure I’ve said this before, but I need a sign for my office that says: “Everything remains stupid; do not visit Twitter to verify.” And underneath in smaller letters: “If Trump dies, you will hear about it some other way.”

And what about Facebook? If ever that nonsense needed to be boycotted, it’s now. It’s such a shame, though, because even more than this blog it’s an online diary for me, going back 12 years to when my children were actually smallish. It has friends I don’t have any other contact with. And now it also contains occasional glimpses of my little college swimmer Mik, via videos posted by his team.

I did delete the Facebook app from my phone, but that was mostly because the settings kept reverting to turn on “in-app sounds,” no matter how many times I turned them off (three).

Again, I don’t want to go crazy imposing rules on myself, because I want to focus on meditation and actually follow through with it. (For how long? The book says I should be able to achieve enlightenment within seven years, so I’ll let you know in 2026.)

I might have to control my social media habits using mindfulness and (ugh) moderation.

No comments:

Post a Comment