Monday, September 13, 2010

The right and wrong way to obsess

Sunday: Yoga
Monday: Rest

I think I've been obsessing way too much about this Ironman. (Outside of what I write here, I mean. After all, this is an Ironman blog, so I don't sound at least a little obsessed on the blog, then I'm probably doing it wrong. Yes?)

But for example, I've declared my (perfectly sane and rational) intent to take it easy for a few days until I officially start training next week, and since I've been feeling a little tired, I decided it would be good to take today off. But there's a part of me screaming, "Nooooo! Must get faster! Must lose weight! Must get comfortable on the bike! Must buy $6,000 worth of new gear on eBay! At least get in a short swim! No, a run! No, a ride!" and so on.

I feel like I'm counting down the days until a big race, rather than just the date when I arbitrarily decided the training "officially" begins. Must chill out.

2 comments:

  1. I was watching Ironman live last night show the finishers crossing the line at Ironman Wisconsin. Just 5 years ago it was I that crossed that line hearing the words "you are an Ironman" for the second time. It won't be long before I am watching an I hear Julie from Billings MT. "you are an Ironman" Keep your eyes on the prize and remember rest is part of Ironman training. You can't finish if you overtrain and are injured. You are doing great..keep it up.

    ReplyDelete