Thursday, July 5, 2012

Look at these lovely parsnips

Giant stupid carrots?
I had mentioned to M.H. a couple of weeks ago that I was wanting to try a new vegetable and that I'd heard good things about parsnips. I promptly forgot all about it, but today he came home from the grocery story and announced, "I got your stupid parsnips. They look like giant stupid carrots." And they do! No idea yet what they taste like or what I'm going to do with them. I've been pretty successful at incorporating new vegetables into our regular diets, though. So far we've added cauliflower, asparagus, kale, collard greens, brussels sprouts, zucchini, and cabbage. (Jicama didn't take. No one else cared for it much, and it was kind of a pain to prepare.) And, no, the kids don't eat all of those. Yet.

Oh, and I've also been turning avocados into guacamole, which reminds me that I tried using some guac as a salad dressing tonight, and it was really pretty good. Maybe I gave up on homemade dressing too soon. I think I'll try again to make some homemade mayo and then mix it with avocado and ranch-like seasonings. Avocado ranch is a thing, right?

5 comments:

  1. I'm kind of astonished you've never had parsnips before. They are delish. Cook as carrots. Mashed WITH carrots. Yum. One of my faves for mix roast veggies. they're just caramelly sweet goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know; I was such a picky eater. Look at the list of veggies I either hadn't tried or never ate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a celantro dressing last night that I liked a lot. I'm not sure what your eating rules are, but if you can have tahini, walnuts, basamic vinegar then...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds interesting, and I do like cilantro. I wonder if you can even buy tahini here; I had never heard of it. But I usually prefer creamy dressings, and what I really want is a replacement for ranch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bought the tahini at Costco. It is creamy and very fresh tasting, no oil.

    Water - enough to start blending
    1 bunch cilantro
    1 handful walnuts
    1T± tahini
    2T± basalmic vinegar
    add water to desired thinness

    the second batch I added a second bunch of cilantro, some lemon juice and hot sauce, but not much of either of those.

    ReplyDelete