Friday, July 14, 2023

Medical intervention

Day 41

I found a naturopathic doctor who takes my insurance and is willing to be my primary care physician, and went to see her for the first time yesterday. The good news is that I really liked her generally, and that I seem to be in good health except for the obvious and having pretty freaking high blood pressure. The bad news is her first instinct was to approach my weight issue with a standard lecture about nutrition, which made me bristly.

I couldn’t seem to impress on her that nutrition is 99.9% NOT my problem. At the moment, my diet is impeccable—literally as good as I know how to make it for 41 days and counting. And even before the Whole30, my diet was honestly still fantastic, and it’s been like eight years since I’ve had added sugar. She said, “A cup of raw spinach has just 7 calories, and that’s as much as two M&M’s” and I was screaming inside, “THIS ISN’T FROM M&M’S!” I probably should have screamed it on the outside, I don’t know. I need to follow up by sending her an email about a couple of things, so maybe I will include a paragraph about my diet and my history and see if I can get her to really hear me on this.

When she saw my blood pressure, she said, “What do you want to do about this?” and I said, “Literally anything but go on blood pressure medication.” She recommended a couple of supplements to try but agrees with me that if I could lose weight it would go a long way toward resolving the problem.

ANYWAY. Next step is to have some labs done. I have some family stuff going on that is stressing me the hell out and want to wait until I have calmed down a little before going to the blood-suckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment