Saturday, May 7, 2011

Potholes

Saturday: Swim 1,800 yards, bike 73 miles, run 3 miles

This ride was alarming to me, because if it had been on the trainer, I would have assumed 16 mph and written down "bike 84 miles." Instead I averaged something like 13-14 mph. I think it's because:
  1. The loop I did had an enormous hill (like, a 45-minute hill) and I did it twice.
  2. It was windy and rainy for much of the ride (but I still managed to sunburn my wrists).
  3. The roads around here are in terrible shape.
Which is all well and good, except that Coeur d'Alene also has enormous hills that must be done twice, and it could easily be windy, or rainy, or hot, or whatever. So basically, the excuse I'm left with is…potholes.

To be honest, my legs felt like they still potentially had 40 miles in them when I finished. But my shoulders, neck, and back were in agony. And there was something else in me that was totally wiped out, though I'm not sure how I'd describe it. I don't think it was cardio related or muscle related. I just ran out of…oh, fuel maybe. Or will. And then when I tried to run, there wasn't much there either.

I spent the whole first part of the day reminding myself that I want to be doing this and the whole second half trying to convince myself that I'll ultimately be able to do this. Not my most encouraging Saturday Triple.

Here's a joke to lighten the mood: What's worse than finishing seven brutal hours of training and finding your family has forgotten you, gone somewhere, and locked you out of the house?

Being informed, 45 very hungry and thirsty minutes later, that the back door was unlocked all along and it was actually your own darn fault. Arghhhh!

2 comments:

  1. You got it done, though! It is my devout belief that all long-course triathlon training should be done purely on time, there is no point worrying about distances, the coming weeks of training plus a good taper will lead to better speeds on the day! Potholes really slow me down on the downhills too, I am temperamentally cautious and they fill me with fear and make me ride on the brakes the whole way down - this, too, though, will be better after some more weeks of training outside...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-NOOOOOO!

    I had to break into my own home a number of times as a kid. I could always find one window that was closed, but not locked. I wonder if the neighbors ever noticed. haha

    Glad you finally got in!

    ReplyDelete