Wednesday, December 1, 2010

New month's resolutions

So I read The Rejectionist's blog, and she has this theory that New Year's resolutions should get a trial run in December to make sure they're realistic. Or, barring that, they should be even harder than the real New Year's resolutions so that the real ones seem easy.

I love this idea, mostly because imposing ridiculous rules on myself is the only way I can get things done, even with a scary deadline looming over me. (Like, say, an Ironman in 29½ weeks.) And I have to admit that, working and training as much as I have been lately, I sometimes feel like the rest of my life is falling apart around me.

It's not exactly that I don't have time to clean the bathrooms, or finish putting up the Christmas decorations, or go shopping with my husband, or help the kids with their homework, or cook, or sit down and read a book. It's more that because I'm so physically and mentally drained, that I take the path of least resistance and end up staying in front of the computer, wasting what little time I have playing Scrabble on Facebook or reading blogs. (Oops, stumbled into a bit of irony there, but let's press on.)

December Resolutions:
  1. Internet time-wasting of all sorts is hereby limited to 25 minutes per day, enforced by an online timer. I'm going to exempt email checking, since I usually do that in inconvenient-to-time two-second increments, and also blogging, because it's good for me.
  2. By the end of the month, I will have (re-)learned how to do a cartwheel. Because, frankly, one serious resolution is all I can handle right now.

3 comments:

  1. Love the cartwheel resolution. This last summer I tried to get back to cartwheels while at the beach. I had mixed results. Round-offs are a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironman!!!!!! We thought we were badass for doing a half-marathon! Totes amaze!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cartwheels!

    That makes me want to pull out my hula hoop and see if I can beat my personal record of thirty-five seconds!

    ReplyDelete