Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Can open, worms everywhere

It is crazy the treasures I'm finding in my file cabinets. I'd almost forgotten that I used to live in an age when people handwrote letters to one another. Thank goodness that age stretched into my four years of college, because some of those are just priceless.

A related age was the short period of time when people wrote long, letter-like emails to one another and then printed them out for safekeeping. I'm grateful to have found a bunch of those related to the years when my children were babies and toddlers.

The bad news is that I'm finding almost nothing to throw away, as I had hoped. It seems I'd done this culling before at some point, and now I'm left with almost all memorabilia (some of it filed under "Old Utilities"). I guess the best I can do would be to organize the stuff a little better and then find a happier home for it than my filing cabinets.

Well, the best I could do would be to create a gorgeous five-volume set of memory books out of it to pass down to future generations, but even then I would probably be kidding myself that future generations or anyone but myself cares about my college friends' reactions to my engagement. Still, I could probably start something like that for each of the kids, I guess…

No comments:

Post a Comment