Friday, March 11, 2011

Why I'm not riding outside

Wednesday: Rest
Thursday: Run 5 miles, bike 25 miles
Friday: Yoga, bike 21 miles

I couldn't bear another aqua jog, so I did Thursday's run on the treadmill. I don't think it helped my plantar fasciitis any, but I don't think it really hurt it much either. I'm thinking maybe I can get away with alternating water runs with real runs for a while and still heal up.

I've got a big weekend ahead. The "Saturday Triple" calls for a three-and-a-half-hour bike ride, and the training schedule warns, "This ride is far too long to be done inside." Well, too bad for me! It's probably technically warm enough to ride outside this weekend if I were super tough. However:
  1. I am not super tough.
  2. There is still snow on the ground.
  3. I don't like being cold.
  4. I am resistant to change.
  5. The road shoulders are still completely covered with gravel.
  6. It's March in Montana, and the weather could change in the blink of an eye.
  7. Did I mention I am a wimp?
I would rather wait until it's reliably warm enough (for wimps) and then put the trainer away once and for all. Riding a million bajillion miles indoors has worn all the tread off the back tire, so I need new ones before I make the big switch.

Plus? I really think trainer riding has been good for me. It certainly cured me of coasting along aimlessly looking at scenery and enjoying myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment