Thursday, January 12, 2012

Bacon ranch, first attempt

I was thinking about the ranch dressing problem again. (That being either the problem of me not being able to eat a salad without it or the problem of making a Paleo version that tastes good, depending on your perspective).

The thing that's a turnoff about the Paleo ranch (besides it being annoyingly time-consuming to make) is that it always tastes so strongly of whatever oil was used to make it. But last night I read something that made alarm bells go off in my head: Instead of oil, you could make it with bacon grease. Like, bacon ranch??! OK!

I wish I could say I now have the perfect recipe and a tasty little bowl of it in my fridge. What I do have is a little bowl of something promising that somehow ended up way too salty and also a bit sour. But at least now I feel like I'm on the right track.

As a bonus, it was a great excuse for my husband and me to each have four pieces of bacon for breakfast this morning so I could harvest enough fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment