Thursday, January 5, 2012

Paleo challenge, Day 5

I'm not going to sit here and tell you this Paleo thing is easy. You have to cook. And peel. And chop. And shop. And blend and grind and grate and measure and stir-fry and roast. (I think you can get by without braising and marinading and julienning, though. Those are advanced skills.) The plus side is that when you go to that much trouble to make a meal, it's almost always a heck of a lot better tasting than a bowl of pasta. The difficulty is definitely not in eating good food; it's in cooking it.

Anyway, here's a Day 5 status report:

I still feel flabby (maybe slightly less so?) and not as strong as I was. My groin injury is healing up now, but at the same time, my heels are telling me they're unhappy with all the walking I've been doing. That means I'm going on more or less a year now of plantar fasciitis. Sorry, feet, for destroying you.

I'm sleeping better, but I still don't feel like I'm actually well rested. In fact, today I took a break from work and just flopped on the bed and lay there with my eyes closed for 10 minutes. Sometimes I think I need more than eight hours of sleep a night, but I don't see that happening. I think fasting is what really got my energy levels up last time, but I haven't felt ready to go back to that yet.

My other Before complaints were that I was thirsty and headachy and unmotivated. The first two were obviously from all the holiday sugar, and they went away as soon as I got it out of my system. As for motivation, I feel some of it returning, though right now I have enough to cook three meals a day from scratch and not a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment