Thursday, November 11, 2010

Taking it down a notch

Wednesday: Swim 2,400 yards
Thursday: Bike 26 miles, run 2.5 miles

Today's bike workout called for me to hold a 75% heart rate for two 33-minute intervals, a fact that had been driving me to actual despair from the time I woke up this morning. Then I noticed that training schedule said I'd have to be "very disciplined" in order to not let my heart rate get above 75%, and I realized that something is just not right with the heart-rate zones I've been using for the bike. It can't be. I mean, even getting to a 131 heart rate is a struggle on an outdoor ride, and holding one for that long would have killed me. Dead!

I posted a question on the trifuel.com website and got all sorts of useful advice, which verified for me that the number I have been using is too high, at least at my current skill level on the bike. I decided to just use perceived exertion for this ride, and take note of where my heart rate ends up at what feels like a 75% effort. It was a low of 119 and a high of 126.

I'm guessing 119 is actually out of the zone, but I think if the choice is between slightly under-doing the effort in a workout and hating my life four days a week, I'll choose the former.

Oh, also? Way too cold today to ride a bike. I had to defrost my feet inside for half an hour before I could head out on my run. Must remember that the trainer is a force for good. Especially if I can tone it down a notch now.

No comments:

Post a Comment